Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Introduction

I want to start by introducing myself -----

I'm Bethany. I'm a wife, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a lifetime student, a die hard hockey fan, a designer, a lover of art, design, architecture and photography. I'm honest, cautious, caring and sentimental. I love to cook, dream of being a teacher/professor, (a pastry chef...for fun) and a mom. I want to leave a positive mark.

So enough about that.....
I named this blog 'The Art of Designing' for several reasons. First - because I am a designer and love all aspects of it. Second, I believe that design is not just an art form but a life form. You 'design' your life, your home, your future, your thoughts......and so on....
So yes, even though I am a designer, I will not always talk about design from a business end -- But from a lifestyle & from a life experience side too. (I'm sure other topics will find their way into this as well)
Third and finally - In my many years of researching design -- I've found many 'definitions' that describe it. Though most of them are obviously related to the 'act' of designing, others simply express the idea of 'design' as a lifestyle and how it pertains to everyday life. One that simply caught me was 'Design: The Art of Designing'. And so it stuck ---- I decided the name will be -"The Art of Designing"

I've thought often about writing these ideas & experiences down, in hopes to promote dialog between myself and the people who share in the same passion; And between those who want to offer their own thoughts on these (and other) topics too.

With that said, I leave my first entry with a quote (or two) that I really enjoy. (One related to design and on to life itself....)

On Design:
" We see Architecture and Design as an act of profound optimism. It's foundation lies in believing that it is possible to make places on earth that give a sense of grace to life and believing that, that matters. It is what we have to give and it is what we leave behind " -- Todd Williams.

On Life:
" If something is not happening for you it doesn't mean it's never going to happen, it means you are not ready for it " -- unknown.




---Bethany---




No comments:

Post a Comment